Friday, September 08, 2006

For which movie did Kamalhasan win his first national award?

Moonram pirai

Correction:

I had earlier mentioned 'Kalathur Kannamma'. I was obviously misled by an article from chennaionline, which was corraborated by an entry in wikipedia as well.

After the error was pointed out by Zero, I did some background checking and realized that the category for best child artist was introduced only in 1968 (Kalathur was released in 1960) here is an article which mentions the introduction of the award. This sounds like authentic source as it is from the press information.

Thank you Zero for the correction

3 Comments:

  • This piece of information, I think, is a big blooper that all profiles of Kamal Haasan in the Internet has managed to propagate and persist. Though virtually every Kamal Haasan profile on the web says so, I have never heard anybody mention this. Is there any other source to confirm this?

    Here is one from the official site of Kamal Haasan fan club to refute this. They have gone as far to include Pasi in the appropriate category (Kamal Haasan just did a guest role in the film!) listed, so they wouldn't have missed to mention Kalathur Kannamma in the right category. And, yes, it seems to have had won the award for Second Best Film (which used to exist back then).

    So, I think this is a wrong piece of info similar to how suddenly the media started including Saat Hindustani in the list of National Awards won by Amitabh Bachchan! (When he had won it only for Agneepath, while Saat Hindustani had won the National Award for Best Film on National Integration.

    P.S.:- Srini saar, I have mailed asking the same :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 PM  

  • Err, I meant, I have mailed you asking about the same thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM  

  • Thanks for pointing us to that PIB article!
    I always considered the "Kalathur Kannamma" bit (most notably in Wikipedia) was bogus, because no well-informed sources mentioned it. Moreover, I also had a hunch that, back in 1960, there must not have been an award in that category at first place.
    Today, I tried a bit in vain digging the archives of the official govt. site. (Then, I went to the KH fan site to see what it had to say.)

    Coincidentally, Saat Hindustani, I believe, was again Amitabh's first film! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home