Monday, August 21, 2006

In Lingusamy’s debut Anandham, Vijayakumar played a big shot who was called Bhavani. This is a reference to

Ram Gopal Varma’s debut Shiva (Udhayam in Tamil) in which the lead villain (played by Raghuvaran) has the same name.
Lingusamy is a big fan of Udhayam, and some influence of the film can be seen in almost all his films, Ji being the most obvious.

Note:
1. The first time I noticed the influence of Shiva was in Lingusamy’s Run, in the subway shutter sequence, which was quite oblique. But, I was proven right when he mentioned it later in an interview.
2. I might be wrong with this Anandham trivia, as I am not really sure if it was Vijayakumar’s name. (I just heard somebody refer to him as Bhavani in the film when it was telecasted this weekend.) Some kind soul, please confirm.

3 Comments:

  • Zero, Vijaykumar's name in Anandam was thavasi and not bhavani.

    Just recollect his intro scene, in which a postman (a cameo by Dhinathorum director Nagaraj) calls him thavasi and gets threatened

    By Blogger Jayaprakash Sampath, at 5:09 PM  

  • Icarus saar,
    Correct. Sneha cracks a joke too based on that. Gotta delete this one. Thanks anyway. Is somebody called that in the film? I tried Google.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

  • Idhukkunnu thirumba poi, ennaala Anandham'laam paakka mudiyaadhu!
    I will bookmark this and update once I get this clarified.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home